Is there a correlation between asthma, food allergies and hypochlorhydria? Older studies published in BMJ and Nature seem to suggest so?

Dr. John Chiu
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Possible

There is study suggesting that acid suppression may increase the risk to develop allergy to certain foods.
However food allergy is rarely linked to asthma except perhaps in the first year of life.

In brief: Possible

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Justin Greiwe

In brief: Not likely

To my knowledge there is no link between these conditions.
Issues of food allergies, asthma, and eczema are atopic disorders that can be more common in eosinophilic esophagitis, but I have never seen any reliable research linking hypochlorhydria and atopy.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Justin Greiwe
Dr. Justin Greiwe
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine