Can I safely take rosuvastatin 40mg with ecosprin 75 mg for hyperlipidemia? Other medication I'm on amlodipin 5, glimisave m2, vitD 60k, gemcal

Dr. Ward Dean
Anti-Aging Medicine

In brief: Yes, you can, but...

That's a bad combination.
You've got two sulfonylurea drugs (which will cause weight gain, and wear out the pancreas) and a very low dose of Metformin. I recommend increasing your dosage of Metformin to 2,000 mg per day--and adding Acarbose (or white kidney bean extract). If your glucose is not under control, add only as much sulfonylurea as you need.

In brief: Yes, you can, but...

That's a bad combination.
3 comments
Dr. Ward Dean
I don't recommend any of the statins. I use Niacin (Vitamin B3, nicotinic acid) 1500 mg/day. It's the safest, cheapest, most effective lipid lowering agent there is. It lowers cholesterol, triglycerides, and LDL--and raises HDL. It causes an unmistakable flushing initially, but this goes away with continued use--and can be minimized by taking an aspirin about 30 minutes before the niacin.
Dr. Rishi Vohora
You don't recommend ANY Statin? Instead you recommend Meds that either show no outcome benefit or haven't been studied for outcomes?? I prefer double blind randomized trials that show benefits for PTs (especially high risk ones like this diabetic) but I guess that's just me...
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine