It's a trend now that brushing your teeth with activated charcoal whitens your teeth, is it true?

It's quite true. Floss your teeth, as you would normally 2 times per day and for more deeply stained teeth, brush with activated charcoal 5 days in a row. You will be thrilled with the results.
Perhaps but... This must be a new trend that I personally haven't heard about. In my opinion you can do the same thing with any number of toothpastes and proper brushing and flossing. I certainly don't recommend that you need this new untested and undocumented fad.
Caution... Anything that is too abrasive and used too often can wear away enamel, which in the long run will make your teeth look more yellow. There are no scientific studies to corroborate any claims or to address any potential damage from extended use. Until proven that charcoal actually whitens teeth and does not abrade the enamel, it is difficult to recommend its use.