I know Vitamin E is one of the vitamins dangerous in high quantities. I currently take some supplements (food based vitamin + probiotic) with 42 IU total (140% RDA); is this a safe level?

Dr. Martin Fried
General Practice

The fat soluble vitamins A D E and K can be unsafe in high doses.
To much vitamin E can cause bleeding problems, Management of vitamin E toxicity consists of discontinuing vitamin E supplements and monitoring the PT if bleeding complications develop.

Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Bleeding risk

The most significant risk is hemorrhage with high dose Vitamin E.
Bleeding is uncommon however unless the dose is > 1000 mg/day (unless the patient is taking taking oral coumarin or warfarin). So to answer your question..140% RDA should be safe. The upper limit for adults aged ? 19 yr is 1000 mg for any form of ?-tocopherol.

In brief: Bleeding risk

Dr. Andrea Brand