I have a dark ring around my neck and between my breast..do to me being on a Depo-Provera shot i gained weight..i stoped Depo-Provera and feel much better..my obgyn doctor told me it was a sign of pre mature diabetes..is this true? And how can i get rid o

Dr. Jessica Allan

In brief: Acanthosis Nigricans

is a common benign disorder that presents with velvety, hyperpigmented plaques on the skin.
A wide variety of endocrine, metabolic, genetic and malignant disorders can contribute to the development of A.N. Insulin resistance plays a key role in development of AN including Obesity DM, PCOS. Treat the underlying disorder. A Dermatologist may be able to improve the appearance.

In brief: Acanthosis Nigricans

Dr. Jessica Allan
Dr. Jessica Allan
Dr. Natalie Hodge

In brief: Yes It's prediabetes

Your OB is astute.
You can get rid of the ring (we call it acanthosis nigricans) by doing three simple things. Drink 8 glasses of water a day, eat 8 fruits and vegetables a day, and walk 10,000 steps a day. (4 miles) Try tracking with a physician recommended mobile tracker with built in pedometer. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=interapt.personalmedicineplus

In brief: Yes It's prediabetes

Your OB is astute.
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Adam Levy