I occasionally wake up with chest pain and heart racing, particularly after a nightmare. is this normal?

Dr. James Chapman
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Not normal

But, it is unlikely there is anything seriously wrong.
This may represent a panic attack, but also may be related to gastrointestinal upset, or possibly an arrhythmia, such as supra ventricular tach. If it continues, see you doc to get it checked out.

In brief: Not normal

Dr. James Chapman
Dr. James Chapman
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Nightmares

In a nightmare your body is in fight or flight response.
But you can learn to sleep thru any dreams and wake up feeling refreshed. I teach my book/class No More Nightmares-How to Use Planned Dream Intervention to End Nightmares and can teach here over VTC. Over 35,000 people world-wide and helps people rapidly start sleeping thru even decades long nightmares!

In brief: Nightmares

Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Beverly Dexter
Dr. Eric Weisman