Took my daughter to doc with 2 month nocturnal cough. He found a heart murmur and now wants her to see the cardiologist asap. What is he looking for?

Just Precaution. Heart murmurs in children are often benign. In rare cases, there may be a persistent heart defect like a communication between one chamber and another that has not completely closed. There are simple tests to check for this. Also, rarely a child may have a heart valve problem also readily seen with basic tests. Most likely, the doctor heard the normal flow of blood and there is no defect.
Murmur. murmurs are relatively common in children. It could be innocent murmur, which doesn't have any structural problems. A visit to the cardiologist might solve all this problem .
Murmur. The doctor is trying to determine if your daughter has a problem with her heart that is causing her a problem. This could be a valve or congenital structural problem. On the other hand not all murmurs are pathologic, so discuss with the cardiologist when your daughter is evaluated and get a clear explanation of what's going on.