My wisdom tooth is coming in. My gums around it have minor swelling and don't hurt. Is it from the tooth breaking through? Is it impacted, or no?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: See your dentist

Who can determine whether or not your wisdom tooth is coming in straight and if there will be enough room for it.
Better to know early and plan for an extraction, if necessary, rather than wait until you have severe pain and swelling. On the other hand that might not be necessary. See a dentist to find out which scenario is more likely.

In brief: See your dentist

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: The rule of thumb

When wisdom teeth cause problems, they need to come out.
If you are experiencing pain, swollen gums, lymph nodes and it does not go away or if you find it difficult to open your mouth, you should see a dentist for evaluation, x-ray and wisdom teeth removal.

In brief: The rule of thumb

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Adam Smith