Is surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome unreliable?

TOS. TOS is combinations of many problems in a complex anatomic location. There are so simple diagnostics or solutions. If properly diagnosed, AND non surgical therapies like PT fail to improve the symptoms, then surgery with an experienced TOS surgeon can be both therapeutic and reliable. Take friend with you to appointments and therapy. Be well.
Iffy. My opinion: idea that scalene muscles etiologic is unproven theory & surgical attempts to correct this are doomed. Idea that narrow costoclavicular dimension, CD, is etiologic is correct & proven w. Subclavian artery Doppler & Addson's. Surgical attempts to lower first rib, "floor" of CD, is worthy, but iffy. Better to use shrug exercises to elevate clavicle, the "ceiling". Physical therapy wins!
Depends. First, in my experience, 85% of all confirmed TOS cases respond to conservative measures if given sufficient time, and best approach is Feldenkreis techniques. The remainder may benefit from surgery, but need to find experienced and skilled surgeon. This is NOT a surgery for the novice! Success rate is at least 92-93% if pt has confirmed diagnosis.