Can I get an allergic reaction from ritalin (methylphenidate)? My friend gave me one and I am taking an act tomorrow. I am allergic to tree nuts, cats and dogs.

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: It's both illegal &

a bad idea for a person without ADHD to take stimulant medication for the 1st time on the day of a 4 1/2- hour ACT + Writing Test.
A low dose may have no positive effect, yet increase blood pressure & pulse & cause anxiety/agitation. Short-acting Ritalin (methylphenidate) wears off in 3 ½ - 4 hours & may cause you to "crash" before you finish the exam. Don't risk your academic future.

In brief: It's both illegal &

Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Diane Minich

In brief: It is illegal

for your friend to give you any medication especially a controlled substance.
They are practicing medicine without a licence and dealing drugs . It is dangerous to take a medication from another person. Consult your doctor or go to ER if you are having a reaction.

In brief: It is illegal

Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: Not likely

You are foolish to take somebody's pills.
What in the world is "taking an act"?

In brief: Not likely

What in the world is "taking an act"?
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
3 comments
Dr. Adeshola Ezeokoli
Yes you may get an allergic reaction. Please do not take another persons tablets.
You must mean the ACT test... and it is indeed a bad idea to take somebody else's stimulants just for an SAT or ACT test. One, because it will mess with your brain function, and two, because it is not your own medication from your own doctors who have been caring for you.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey