Diagnosed with GERD at 48 by upper GI series Minor symptoms most days with nexium (esomeprazole). What are my chances for Barrets or espophical cancer later in life?

OddsAbout6:1After10y. Barret's occurs in variable times after onset of GERD, but usually takes years. It is found in about 10-15% of people who are studied for GERD.People who have it are at a higher risk of cancer but it's still quite low (around .5%)These are just round numbers- and the time factor is unclear (from onset GERD to Barret's and from Barret's to cancer).Unless your GERD is really severe, I wouldn't worry.