Pancreatic cancer: Oncologist says CA19-9 blood tests are showing false negative (<37)results. How does he know for sure there is cancer?

Pathology

In brief: Understanding labs

This isn't a "false negative" -- a great many pancreatic cancers simply don't make CA19-9.
There may also be too little cancer left to make enough to be meaningful. This is just one of many examples of how limited tumor markers are. I trust the oncologist has his/her reasons for believing cancer is present. You'll need to ask. Best wishes.

In brief: Understanding labs

Dr. Steven Hebert
Agree completely.
Dr. Steven Hebert
Pathology

In brief: Pancreatic cancer

The only way to know for sure is with a tissue diagnosis from a biopsy.
Best of luck.

In brief: Pancreatic cancer

Best of luck.
Dr. Steven Hebert
Dr. Steven Hebert
Dr. Thomas Knecht
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: More information

Hi. To me, that looks like very good information (the tumor marker is undetectable).
If he has information otherwise, he needs to explain it to you. Was your CA 19-9 elevated before surgery, chemo + radiation? If so, and it's negative now, based on the information available, I'd say that's exactly the result you'd like to see! Ask him to explain his position. Good luck!

In brief: More information

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery