I am bothered by discomfort in my foot. Starts at the Achilles tendon and goes to the outside of my foot. It doesn't bother all the time. Thoughts?

In brief: Peroneal tendonitis

You should get examined with diagnostic testing such as us or x-ray.
It sounds like peroneal tendonitis which can start at the achilles area and be painful on the outside of the foot. Does it hurt when your foot inverts?

In brief: Peroneal tendonitis

Dr. Thomman Kuruvilla
Dr. Thomman Kuruvilla

In brief: Tendon pain

Sounds like it may be achilles' tendon pain leading into the plantar fascia versus peroneal tendinitis.
Either way, stretching, icing if you have good circulation and light compression should help. Also consider a pair of functional orthotics (not the cushioned kind you buy at pharmacies). Wearing a bit of a heel will help the pain if it is originating from the achilles.

In brief: Tendon pain

Dr. Kristine Nemes
Dr. Kristine Nemes
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine