How long does maternal immunity to chicken pox last in breast feed babies? Afraid as my 7 month baby exposed to his father diagnosed varcilla. Pl help

Dr. Katharine Cox
Pediatrics - Emergency Medicine

In brief: Several weeks

The maternal transmitted immunity only is protective for several weeks.
A 7 month old child is not protected. If he has been exposed to his Dad he may get chickenpox. This would happen up to 3 weeks after the exposure. It is unlikely an early immunization would help. All the best and I hope he escapes the illness.

In brief: Several weeks

Dr. Katharine Cox
Dr. Katharine Cox

In brief: Baby's at risk

Maternal antibody passed during pregnancy will give 3-6 months of variable protection.
The BF antibody is mostly IGA and provides some nonspecific protection but not enough to be protective. Some IGG comes across but the effect is minimal.Timing of the exposure to breakout as 10-21 days.Discuss with your doc if s/he thinks meds would help if infected. Most kids in this age group have a mild process

In brief: Baby's at risk

Dr. Adam Levy