Is optic nerve damage reversible?

Sometimes. Some optic nerve damage is reversible. For example, optic neuritis frequently recovers completely, when the cause is found and can be treated. Optic neuropathy due to vascular disease sometimes recovers. Traumatic injuries of the optic nerve may or may not recover.
Rarely reversible. Optic nerve damage can happen for a variety of reasons, including vascular causes such as "strokes, " inflammation, compression, and infiltratration. A few of these causes can rarely be reversible with time or interventions, but the exact cause needs to be determined.