My feet feel like they are burning everytime I lie down to sleep at night. I have diabetes. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Melissa Young
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Neuropathy
You may have a disorder called neuropathy which is nerve damage that often occurs in someone with diabetes, although there are other causes as well.
Talk to your doctor. A foot exam should be performed, and he/she may need to run additional tests, maybe even a nerve conduction study. Don't walk barefoot, even at home. And look at the bottoms of your feet everyday.

In brief: Neuropathy
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Melissa Young
2 comments
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Neuropathy can be caused by the diabetes or by a common vitamin deficiency. As a complication of diabetes, actually, it's more likely to occur when the blood suar levels are poorly controlled.
Dr. Sahba Ferdowsi
great answers! Wishing you'all the best.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry
In brief: Yes, you should
See a doctor. You have neuropathy.
Your doc needs to differentiate if you have it secondary to a compressed nerve in your back or secondary to diabetic neuropathy and treat appropriately.

In brief: Yes, you should
See a doctor. You have neuropathy.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry
In brief: Possible neuropathy
Neuropathy can happen as a result of trauma, or nerve damage due to the consumption of alcohol or certain medications.
Symptoms can range from a numbness and tingling sensation, possibly a burning sensation, to an uncomfortable painful sensation of the extremities. Get evaluated by a professional to determine the exact cause in order to get the appropriate treatment.

In brief: Possible neuropathy
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Pathology
This is classic for diabetic peripheral neuropathy.
Your physician may be able to help. I'm sorry you have this -- good luck with treatment. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/460912 is a discussion of the problem and how it may best be treated.

You are most welcome. The internet has brought the whole world together in friendship.
Dr. Vicken Poochikian