A 2D Echo Cardiogram indicated a bicuspid valve as opposed to tricuspid valve. Is that going to be a problem? Will there be any issues?

Dr. Stephen Southard

I assume you mean bicuspid aortic valve.
Know that patients with a bicuspid aortic valve require surveillance for the development of aortic valve issues (stenosis, regurgitation) and for thoracic aortic aneurysms. You'd be best served with a cardiologist if this is the case.

Dr. Stephen Southard
Dr. Stephen Southard
Dr. Kashif Abdullah

In brief: It depends

If you had a Echo Cardiogram it would be best to talk to the cardiologist who ordered this.
But if this report was referring to your aortic valve (valve of the left heart chamber that pumps blood) then there can be issue in the future. Sometimes people have no problems their whole life with a bicuspid aortic valve.But sometimes the do have issues and will need surgery to correct the bicuspid valve

In brief: It depends

Dr. Kashif Abdullah
Dr. Kashif Abdullah
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology