I strained my low back while putting groceries away. My low back is getting better, but now having pain and tightness on the sides of my hips. Why would the low back strain would affect my hips?

Dr. Andrew Shiller
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: You are One Unit

Your back, your pelvis, your hips (and the rest of your body) is one unit of function.
Said differently, the muscles and other soft tissues of your low back are connected to the muscles and soft tissues of your pelvis, hips, legs. You should get some guidance (from a PT and/or Physiatrist) how to do a general lumbo-pelvic stretching and strengthening. And do it for the rest of your life.

In brief: You are One Unit

Dr. Arnon Rubin