What exactly is heart disease and why is it the leading cause of death in America?

Obesity and nicotine. Some of the most common causes of damage to the arteries of the heart (high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes), are due to obesity, which is epidemic in the U.S. at this time. Another cause, nicotine use, is also a continuing problem. There are other contributing factors to heart disease also, such as inherited tendencies and lupus, but the obesity-related factors & nicotine=answer.
CAD plus. Heart disease is a broad category of any condition that affects the heart. The most common condition and the condition that is the leading cause of death is coronary artery disease. This is a condition in which the blood vessels on the surface of the heart which bring blood to the heart muscle develop blockages. When these coronary arteries become blocked the result can be a heart attack.
Too general. Gabrielle- that is too general a question as the heart is a VERY complex organ that can be subject to multiple forms of disease. therefore, you need to focus your question on a more specific topic. Sorry I couldn't help further.
See below. Heart disease includes: coronary artery disease,congenital heart disease, congestive heart failure, cardiac rhythm abnormalities, etc. More than half of heart deaths are due to coronary artery disease(CAD). Factors contributing to CAD:family history,smoking,obesity,cholesterol, high BP, diabetes,lack of exercise, the typical American diet. A plant based diet protects against developing CAD.