What is stroke?

Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Damage to brain

A stroke is generally term referred to impairment or loss of function of part of the brain.
This happens when blood supply to that part of the brain is interrupted due to a blockage resulting from plaque build up and/ or blood clot. Also rupture of blood vessel causing bleeding in the brain can result in stroke.

In brief: Damage to brain

Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Vasudev Ananthram
Dr. Rizwan Kalani
Neurology

In brief: See below

Sudden onset of neurological symptoms (weakness, numbness, trouble speaking or understanding, vision loss, imbalance, incoordination, slurred speech) that has results from a blood vessel problem to the brain.
This can be from a clot that blocks off blood going to the brain or from a ruptured blood vessel in the head. The gold standard for diagnosis is actually based on CT or MRI scan of the brain.

In brief: See below

Dr. Rizwan Kalani
Dr. Rizwan Kalani
Dr. Robert Singer
Neurosurgery

In brief: Blood flow

A stroke is an alteration of blood flow to the brain resulting in a loss of tissue and possible loss of function.
It can be categorized in many ways but ultimately is a disease event related to the cerebral circulation. Blockage and rupture of arterial components are commonly described but venous pathologies can also cause stroke.

In brief: Blood flow

Dr. Robert Singer
Dr. Robert Singer
Dr. Diane stoler
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Stroke

For an in depth answer, please go to my website http://www.
drdiane.com/patients/acquired-brain-injury/stroke-aneurysm/ Please let me know if this has helped. Dr. Diane

In brief: Stroke

Dr. Diane stoler
Dr. Diane stoler