Will i have HPV for life? I am 24 years old with genital warts and a recent LGSIL pap smear. Will my boyfriend of 6 months get the virus too?

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: No, not for life

The immune system clears HPV, although it can take up to 2 years.
You can assume your BF has already been infected and even might be the source of your infection (you'll never know). Probably he'll never have symptoms, but should keep an eye out for warts. LSIL is mild; you are at low risk for a serious problem. Follow your doc's advice, and also speak with her about HPV vaccination.

In brief: No, not for life

Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
I missed that you were diagnosed with warts as well as LSIL. Sorry. About two thirds of sex partners of people with genital warts get visible warts themselves, so your partner definitely should be on the lookout for them. Presumably you are on treatment for your warts, right?