I bite my tongue in my sleep. I've tried a mouth guard, but I spit it out during sleep. Any suggestions on prevention?

Mouth guard? Do you mean a custom made occlusal orthotic, commonly called a night guard, or an over-the-counter drug store item, or a sports mouth guard. Your grinding, clenching, tongue biting may be due to an airway problem or a malocclusion. Please see an Orthodontist to evaluate your occlusion AND your general dentist who may refer you onward. This isn't a DIY project.
See OFP expert. Orofacial Pain provides diagnosis and management of chronic pain and dental sleep disorders. Nocturnal tongue biting is one of the problems they treat. They are the experts in this field. Good luck.
Sleep. You are grinding your teeth during sleep. Perhaps your night guard does not fit well. Do you also snore? Are you tired during the daytime? Are you overweight? You may have sleep apnea. Get evaluated for this. Treatment may be an oral appliance or CPAP.