How long do concussion symptoms last? how will I know it is safe to workout again if some days I feel great while others I have headaches?

Dr. Eric Weisman
Neurology

In brief: If headaches

are related to concussion it's too early.
If due to another issue like a concomitant whiplash ( neck ) injury you can ( and probably should ) do some activities that might speed recovery from the neck / upper back muscle spasm. Avoid even mental gymnastics in the early stages of recovery from TBI as it increases the metabolic demands in the recovering brain. Recovery varies -two years or less

In brief: If headaches

Dr. Bradford Romans
One must avoid second impact syndrome which can cause brain swelling and death or long term permanent brain injury.
Dr. William Singer
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: Variable

Concussion symptoms can last from hours, to days to a year. You should not do more than mild exercise until yoiur headaches cease.

In brief: Variable

Dr. Eric Weisman