My 11 yr old son told me yesterday that one of his nipples is sore. I looked at it and it looks a little swollen. Should I be concerned?

Dr. Mario Diana
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Follow with care

It is normal for boys (and girls) to experience changes of the nipples and breasts between 9 and 12 years of age.
Boys may develop small breast buds and sometimes have sensitive areas with small amount of drainage. It is important to discuss with a pediatrician and evaluate a boy's genitalia to ensure normal development. If breast buds develop excessively (gynecomastia) treatment is available.

In brief: Follow with care

Dr. Mario Diana
Dr. Mario Diana

In brief: Common finding

Up to a third of males will have some nipple or breast enlargement as glands start to awaken and produce the hormones that will produce true puberty.
This can occur on one or both sides, starting at different times & last a year or so. Occasionally the breast enlargement can be noticable enough to produce real concern. Have his dr confirm this at a regular visit.Ur boy needs to know it is temporary.

In brief: Common finding

Dr. Cindy Juster