My new partner has HPV with unusual pap & no warts. We have not had unprotected sex. Does her HPV pose a greater threat to my health than other types?

Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Human papiloma virus

HPV can cause cervical and other cancers including cancer of the vulva, vagina, penis, or anus.
It can also cause cancer in the back of the throat, including the base of the tongue and tonsils (called oropharyngeal cancer). HPV is does pose more issues than other types of viruses that causes warty growths and certain strains are worse than others (16 & 18).

In brief: Human papiloma virus

Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Dr. Dominic Riganotti
Dr. Jane Van Dis