If I have a bad sore throat and am losing my voice is it possible I have strep throat?

Dr. Esiquiel Olivarez

In brief: Sore throat

Sore throat with fever and lack of cough has a higher chance of strep.
Loosing the voice is most often consistent with viral pharyngitis. A strep test will check for strep.

In brief: Sore throat

Dr. Esiquiel Olivarez
Dr. Esiquiel Olivarez
Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: Not likely

Strep infection is usually a pharyngitis which may make it painful to speak but does not cause you to lose your voice.
Viral infections are much more likely to cause inflammation of the voice box - laryngitis. They typically cause other upper respiratory symptoms as well - cough, runny / stuffy nose, plugged ears, body aches, etc.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Shontae Buffington