Is there any way to reduce the negative effects of an MRI on the knee after a knee replacement?

Dr. Michael Gabor
Diagnostic Radiology

In brief: There aren't

any negative effects!

In brief: There aren't

any negative effects!

In brief: Not true

there are no effects on a knee replacement from having an mri scan

In brief: Not true

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Timing

There is a general thought that there may be a subtle vibration in the joint replacement which might potentially lead to a loosening of the implant, particularly if it is a device that requires bone ingrowth for stability.
So there is a 6 week time frame some will wait before getting an MRI. That being said, I have never seen any problem with getting an MRI on a patient with a replacement.

In brief: Timing

Dr. William Forsythe