Would an EKG show congestive heart failure?

Dr. Christian Assad
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: It can

Low voltage in an EKG suggest cardiomyopathy.
Which goes by the hand with Heart Failure. - In addition Electrical Alternans in the EKG is also suggestive of heart failure

In brief: It can

Dr. Christian Assad
Dr. Christian Assad
Dr. Daniel Zanger
Low voltage and alternans can also be seen in pericardial effusion
Dr. Rishi Vohora
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Not really

I would respectfully provide an alternate view from the previous respondents.
While their answers were factually correct pls remember that heart failure is a clinical diagnosis and an EKG is an overall minor component of that assessment. Eg: heart failure can be from ischemia, and we can see that on an ekg but at least half of HF cases are with preserved ejection fraction & an EKG can't help that.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Rishi Vohora
Dr. Rishi Vohora