What percentage of depression patients are good candidates for deep brain stimulation (DBS)?

Experimental. DBS of Cingulate Gyrus area 25 of the brain with electrodes has demonstrated positive benefits for some very depressed folks. The treatment is surgery, however, and is still classed as experimental. What constitutes a good candidate varies, but usually includes refractory response to other methods and a reasonable health status to survive surgery. Not enough is yet known for longterm effects.