What can be done for someone diagnosed with resistant hypertension and mitral valve proplase?

Dr. Donald Steinmuller
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Control high BP

No matter the cause (and mitral valve prolapse is not likely a cause of or caused by high BP) high blood pressure (BP) at level of 140/90 or higher needs to treated and controlled to prevent serious problems including making mitral valve prolapse (MVP) worse.
MVP is usually asymptomatic but needs to be also monitored by your primary MD and/or cardiologist.

In brief: Control high BP

Dr. Donald Steinmuller
Dr. Donald Steinmuller
Dr. Clarence Grim
1. Find the cause of the resistance by seeing a hypertension specialist. I am one and happy to guide your local team if they cannot control BP. 2. If a cause is found and there are many treat the cause. 3. One cause you can control is to take your meds as directed. 4. Move to the DASH eating program - get the book ISBN: 0-7434-1007-6 Kindle Book-13: 978-1-43914-059-8. starts 2 lower BP within wk
Dr. Clarence Grim
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Resistant HTN

1. Measure your BP at home with an accurate device.
Use these to guide treatment 2. Be certain you are taking BP meds exactly. 3. Most are out salting their BP meds. Please add the DASH eating plan for 2 weeks, ISBN: 0-7434-1007-6 eISBN-13: 978-1-43914-059-8 4. Check that you are not taking meds that increase BP such as cold remedies. 5. Stop licorice if eating every day. 6. Consult with me.

In brief: Resistant HTN

Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Clarence Grim
Dr. Steven Seres