I wasn't allergic to my kittens when I 1st brought them home, but now, 5 months later, I am dying! (currently on 10mg claritin (loratadine).) why?

Dr. Cindy Juster

In brief: Please see below.

Sometimes you can get sensitized to an allergen (including, unfortunately, cat dander) over time.
If avoidance of an allergen isn't an option, the next step is to see your doctor about additional medications and possibly allergy shots.

In brief: Please see below.

Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Cindy Juster
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Am sorry to say the cat may have to go if this is the main cause of your problem.at times WE have to make a tough decision. It is Your life.weigh the risks and benefits. Is it worth it ? Would recommend seeing an allergist and discuss options too.
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: It happens

This is not an uncommon scenario.
However before you get rid of your cat see your allergist and get skin tested to verify it is the cat that is the problem. If it is the cat why now and not before did you develop symptoms? There are several possibilities: you may have over the past couple of weeks developed the sensitivity or the cat may have started to make sufficient allergen that is now a prob.

In brief: It happens

This is not an uncommon scenario.
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Jack Hinkle