My wrist has been hurting for a few months and hurts badly what should I do?

Dr. Eric Chang
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Trauma?
The wrist is a very complex anatomical structure.
There are many causes of wrist pain. Even something simple like a wrist sprain often takes a long time to heal, because we are always using our hands. A qualified hand surgeon can examine you and possibly take imaging studies. You may need something as simple as a splint or possibly and steroid injection or more.

In brief: Trauma?
Dr. Eric Chang
Dr. Eric Chang
Dr. Hill Hastings
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Splint, NSAIA
It depends on a) related to an injury? B) is there swelling? C) does it hurt when you move it? Is it on the radial (thumb) side or on the ulnar (small finger side)? Is it the only joint involved? Are you over age 40? The majority of wrist problems will quiet down with time and patience unless there is a ligament or significant cartilage injury.

In brief: Splint, NSAIA
Dr. Hill Hastings
Dr. Hill Hastings
Dr. Jack Hinkle