If you get cold sores do that mean you have herpes even if not sexually active and can u have herpes and never get a cold sore?

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: Yes yes

Most people get type 1 herpes as children.
Some of them get recurring "cold sores" as a result. Most get no symptoms. Mostly they get the virus [it is not any kind of bacteria] from their parents or from other children. This is not often related to sexual activity. Best treatment is from dermatologist, not ENT. When indicated, the pills are very effective and absolutely safe.

In brief: Yes yes

In brief: Not my field, but...

It is theorized that some cold sores may be caused by a mutation of normal oral bacteria to their "L-form." Some will spontaneously mutate back, or they will just die off in time.
At the same time it can also be herpes simplex. A good ENT doctor can help you.

In brief: Not my field, but...

Dr. Adam Levy