Lower back pain. Constant need to crack back, to the point where I will feel uncomfortable in my skin. I try to resist cracking but I often fail.

Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Facets

When people talk about " popping" their back in a similar manner as when people do it with their knuckles, this usually involves the facet joints; which are small joints that run up and down each side of the back.
Similar to cracking your knuckles, the etiology is not well understood, but may be related to a build up of nitrogen in the capsule of the joint.

In brief: Facets