I have to take a CT scan next week for abdomen and pelvis and need to drink barium sulfate. I am concerned about allergic reactions. are they common ?

Dr. Roy Arnold

In brief: Severe reactions

to Barium Sulfate are very rare, about 1 out of 1,000,000.
Minor reactions like cramps or constipation are common and usually resolve quickly. Thanks for trusting HealthTap!

In brief: Severe reactions

Dr. Roy Arnold
Dr. Roy Arnold
Dr. David Dinhofer
Allergy to Barium is very rare as Dr.Arnold noted. In all my years of practice, I think I heard about one patient, I have seen thousands in my practice who had no problems. As a radiologist, we recommend that you eat a high fiber diet as the barium can form large hard balls that are hard to pass. The high fiber diet will protect against this.

In brief: No, not for barium sulfate

They are much more common for IV contrast.
. Are they going to give it to you? Allergic reactions usually happen to the substances with high molecular weight.

In brief: No, not for barium sulfate

Dr. Irina Vasilyeva
Dr. Irina Vasilyeva
Dr. Jack Hinkle