I have MS Dx an my neuro is putting me on copaxone (glatiramer). Is the chest pain from copaxone (glatiramer) coming from the heart and is it dangerous? Doesnt seem safe.

Dr. Olav Jaren
Neurology

In brief: Heart is safe

Normally copaxone (glatiramer) does not cause any cardiac problems.
Copaxone (glatiramer) is a very safe medicine, one that tends not to cause side effects, but of course there are exceptions. Your symptoms are probably coming from the chest wall, like the muscles. You might also wonder about GERD- since you are taking medicine for GERD. That also causes chest pain.

In brief: Heart is safe

Dr. Olav Jaren
Dr. Olav Jaren

In brief: Not dangerous

Copaxone (glatiramer) is very safe, and indeed, likely the safest of all the MS drugs, but the injection reaction involving chest pain is scary but brief, about 15 minutes, and does NOT involve the heart.
Also, relatively uncommon to occur.

In brief: Not dangerous

Also, relatively uncommon to occur.
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine