I'm experiencing excruciating chronic sciatic nerve pain due to a pinched sciatic nerve caused by a herniated disc. Are there any non narcotic prescription meds that would be effective with this pain?

Dr. Tracie Leonhardt
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Natural pain methods

Some things that help for irritated nerve pain naturally are: Magnesium malate or glycinate 1000 mg- This is a natural muscle relaxer. Work your way up to 1000 mg.
If loose stool, reduce dosing. Omega fish oil- I like combinations of omega 3 and omega 7 for their anti-inflammatory effects. Up to 5000 mg. Vitamin D- If levels are low, can help with back pain. Good Luck

In brief: Natural pain methods

Dr. Olav Jaren
Neurology

In brief: Rx for disc symptoms

These medicines sometimes help: amitriptyline gabapentin tramadol People also find PT is helpful for this sometimes.
Especially spinal traction, when it is safe to do so.

In brief: Rx for disc symptoms

Dr. Ashish Shanbhag
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Additonal options

Additional treatment options may consist of Alpha Lipoic Acid for the neuralgic pain and Borage Oil for the inflammatory component.

In brief: Additonal options

Dr. Vikram Patel