I had ACL reconstruction 2 years ago and all week have increasing pain and my knee gives out. I haven't done sports lately what is wrong?

Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Time for a follow-up

Schedule a follow-up with your surgeon.
It could be something as simple as persistent leg weakness, and a return to therapy could solve it. On the other hand, the integrity of the ACL graft should be checked by your surgeon. Many times other structures are injured at the same time as the ACL originally, such as meniscal tears or chondral defects, and so these may need to be re-evaluated.

In brief: Time for a follow-up

Schedule a follow-up with your surgeon.
Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Dr. Andrew DeGruccio
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Weak knee

Your leg may just be weak from not exercising but if the symptoms continue you need to see your doctor and get examined to make sure your graft has not failed.

In brief: Weak knee

Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Get it checked.

Several possibilities when your knee is giving out.
Have an orthopedic knee sports medicine specialist check you out. There may be something wrong with the ACL graft, or the "giving out" could be from another source.

In brief: Get it checked.

Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine