Can I take half of Ambien (zolpidem) before o go to bed then the other have in the middle of the night when I wake up?

Dr. Laura Davies

In brief: Not a great idea

You can do that, but you will probably find yourself very groggy in the morning.
It sounds like your sleep is not good. I would work on your " sleep hygiene" -- no caffeine after 1 pm, get exercise but not within 2 hours of bed, only use your bed for sleep or sex, have the same bedtime and wake time every day ( even weekends). It's also worth talking to your doctor about other issues for you.

In brief: Not a great idea

Dr. Laura Davies
Dr. Laura Davies
Dr. Arthur Heller
Agree with Dr. Davies.Ambien is a long acting drug; taken in middle of night will likely be groggy in a.m.; other drugs are shorter acting, e.g. Sonata, may not have hangover. Agree with sleep hygiene, speak with doc.
Dr. Jeffrey Junig

But try to take it only when you have at least 4 more hours, or you might be sedated when you wake, and in rare cases, act without any memory for what you do.
The cr tab should not be broken, but the immediate release tab can be divided. That's better than taking two, as it helps keep you from getting too used to them-- which would eventually reduce their effectiveness.

Dr. Jeffrey Junig
Dr. Jeffrey Junig