I have gallstones and blood in my stool... What does this mean?

Dr. Mark Pack
Surgery

In brief: Not related

Gallstones and blood in the stools are not related.
You need to see your physician to have the blood in the stoll evaluated. Sometimes gallstones are asymptomatic and do not need treatment.

In brief: Not related

Dr. Mark Pack
Dr. Mark Pack
Dr. Kathy Robinson

In brief: See doctor

Gallstones collect in the gallbladder and can cause abdominal pain especially after eating a meal with lots of fat.
If you have a lot of symptoms from the gallstones, the gallbladder may need to be removed. Blood in your stool can indicate just hemorrhoids or something more serious like colon cancer. Please see your doctor for both of these problems

In brief: See doctor

Dr. Kathy Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery