Are there any alternatives to a liver biopsy for cirrhosis, the procedure terrifies me?

Liver biopsy. A liver biopsy is essential for establishing a diagnosis. Best of luck. Speak with the physician doing the biopsy and ask for something to relax you.
Sort of. Biopsy is the gold standard though not always necessary. It is sometimes important to know the type of tissue damage that can only be assessed by biopsy. Visit the site given below for information on this topic. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cirrhosis/basics/definition/con-20031617.