I take amitriptyline for abdominal migraine. Been on it for almost 2 months. Having suicidal thoughts. Is this normal? What do I do?

Dr. James Wells

In brief: Suggest Abilify (aripiprazole).

Amitriptyline does not generally lead to suicidal thoughts, but in any case, adding 2 mg of Abilify (aripiprazole) each morning may give you significant relief from the depression and thoughts of suicide.
If you haven't already, please contact your primary care provider right away and describe your symptoms. Avoid ALL alcohol. Call 911 if thinking very seriously about suicide and have a plan.

Dr. James Wells
Dr. James Wells