My sister had a benign neoplasm of the thyroid. Is it possible that benign neoplasms run in the family?

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Yes, possible

Hi. The genetics of benign thyroid adenomas is not understood.
More is known about genes associated with thyroid malignancies, and there are a multitude of genes that can be associated with the cancers. But like any phenotype (benign adenoma, in this case), the phenotype is a result of interaction between genes and environmental factors. So yes, it's possible (but not probable in my experience).

In brief: Yes, possible

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. Thomas Knecht
Dr. John To
Benign thyroid adenomas are extremely common in women. I see thyroid nodules on CT and ultrasound every day.
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery