Is it true that the HPV vaccine is barely effective and that the chances of preventing you from getting cancer are low? Is there any study that proves that?

Dr. David Lipkin

In brief: Absolutely not true!

Studies show that when HPV vaccine is given to women who have never been exposed to the HPV virus, they were nearly completely protected against the HPV Genotypes 16 and 18 which are responsible for 80% of cervical cancers worldwide.
The protection lasted up to 8.5 years. **Gardasil also protects against genital/anal warts and protects against cancers of the vagina,vulva,throat,tongue and anus.

In brief: Absolutely not true!

Dr. David Lipkin
Dr. David Lipkin
Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: HPV vaccine

Studies in men and women show efficacy against lesions related to HPV-6, 11, 16 &18 to be >90%.
The vaccine contains only strains which have been implicated in formation of secondary cancers. In addition to reducing the risk of infection and cancers due to these strains it also reduces the chance of potentially infected people from transmitted infection to others. It is highly effective.

In brief: HPV vaccine

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
Pathology

In brief: See below

Please consult this site for authoritative information on this subject.
http://www.cdc.gov/hpv/vaccine.html From what I know HPV vaccine is safe and effective.

In brief: See below

Dr. Julan Crane

In brief: HPV vaccine

The vaccine is extremely effective and more information can be found at the CDC and AAP websites .

In brief: HPV vaccine

Dr. Julan Crane
Dr. Julan Crane
Dr. Natalie Sieb

In brief: NO.

This is not at all true.
The vaccine most doctor's are giving- Gardasil- has been shown in studies to prevent 98-100% of patients receiving the vaccine from ending up with the common vaginal and cervical cancers and anogenital warts. If you need studies, look up the FUTURE 1 and FUTURE II trials. I HIGHLY recommend this vaccine to both male and female teens.

In brief: NO.

This is not at all true.
Dr. Natalie Sieb
Dr. Natalie Sieb
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham