I have some early peripheral vision loss but don't notice it in my field of vision. Why?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology

In brief: Compensation

The eyes are very good at covering for each other. The peripheral loss which i hope is minor, has been adjusted to by your eyes and there even may be some overlap with the other eye.

In brief: Compensation

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Keshav Narain
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

In brief: Two eyes

Because the right and left eye do not typically have homonomous field defects (non superimposable), they can make up for eachother. One eye fills the defects in the image to the brain.
This is why glaucoma is often thought of as asymptomatic in the early stages.

In brief: Two eyes

Dr. Keshav Narain
Dr. Keshav Narain