I am taking cymbalta (duloxetine) for fibromyalgia and have gained 20lbs with hand and feet swelling. Are there other drugs that treat fibromyalgia with less side ?

Dr. Kenneth Choquette
Pain Management
In brief: Make sure is Fibro
Fibromyalgia is one of the most overly diagnosed condition today.
There are many underlying conditions that can explain many of the symptoms that are more common-place and actually treatable. Conditions of the neck and low back will frequently have "myofascial" (muscle, tendon, ligament=soft-tissues) related pain that will spread quite far at times. Seek pain specialist eval. If needed for options.

In brief: Make sure is Fibro
Dr. Kenneth Choquette
Dr. Kenneth Choquette
Dr. I. Jon Russell
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Hands/feet swelling
Weight gain is not a common side effect from duloxetine [cymbalta] treatment of fibromyalgia syndrome [fms].
The combination of weight gain with swelling of hands and feet suggests another condition [eg, kidney disease, heart disease etc] or another drug [steroidal, non-steroidal antiinflammatory, pregabalin, etc] used at the same time or even in the past. You should see your physician soon!

In brief: Hands/feet swelling
Dr. I. Jon Russell
Dr. I. Jon Russell
Dr. Michael Joseph
Pain Management
In brief: Possibly
All medication have side effects.
There are a number of medication that are indicated for fibromyalgia. Lyrica, savella, (milnacipran) effexor, Pristiq and muscle relaxants have all been shown to be helpful for fibro. Regular, moderate, non-impact aerobic exercise and cognitive behavioral therapy have been shown to be as if not more effective than medication and have almost no adverse effects.

In brief: Possibly
All medication have side effects.
Dr. Michael Joseph
Dr. Michael Joseph
Dr. Mehul Desai
This is not completely accurate, the only FDA approved medications for fibromyalgia are Cymbalta, Savella, and Lyrica. There is some data for Elavil and other TCA antidepressants. There is no significant data supporting the use of Effexor, Pristiq or muscle relaxants.
Dr. Vikram Patel