My dad is manic depressive, how likly am I to be as well?

20% If a first degree relative (i.e. Father, mother, siblings) has bipolar disorder, the lifetime risk of developing an affective disorder (i.e.Depression, alcoholism, or bipolar disorder) is 20%. The risk among the general population is 1%. The good news is that there are effective treatments available. The bad news is that people must desire or want to take these meds.
Genetics. Maybe a collegeau can give you a more precise answer in regards to true %. We do know bipolar does run in families. Also there is much controversy among physicians based on how liberal they boarden the criteria. Working with mostly children and adolescents is use the dsm-4tr criteria, as younger patients clinical presentation changes over time, getting a good family history is helpful.
Agree with Dr. Kwok. Also remember that having a genetic predisposition is not the only determinant of whether the disorder will be expressed. Environmental issues also play an important role.