What are some things I can do to heal a sprained ankle?

Dr. Selene Parekh
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Treatment

There are a number of things to do, including: rest, ice, elevation, cross training when the pain gets better, and most importantly physical therapy.
A foot and ankle surgeon can guide you on this.

In brief: Treatment

Dr. Selene Parekh
Dr. Selene Parekh
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: RICE

Rice protocol is a well known approach in medicine - rest, icing, compression, and elevation.
It works well in the acute phase. After the pain has abated, you can start walking, using ankle support to prevent reinjury. Sometimes, using a good stiff sole, full shoe may suffice as it provides stability enough for walking and some exercises that you want to do to help your range of motion.

In brief: RICE

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Arthur Christiano
Sports Medicine

In brief: R.I.C.E., NSAIDS x1w

A sprained ankle refers to a low ankle sprain, different than a high ankle sprain.
Low sprain occurs when the foot rolls in and there is pain/swelling over the top/outside of the foot and ankle. First line treatment involves rest, ice, and elevation for 48 hrs. Goal is to control the swelling and prevent stiffness. A week of nsaids (motrin 600mg PO 3x/day) helps with swelling and pain. Last 2-4w.

In brief: R.I.C.E., NSAIDS x1w

Dr. Arthur Christiano
Dr. Arthur Christiano