I have pain when I yawn. As if my windpipe closes. A knot I feel every time it happens. What is happining?

In brief: Doctor to evaluate

If something is in the throat or neck, an ear-nose-throat doctor and a gastroenterologist can evaluate.
The doctors can decide if, after an exam, x-rays or other imaging studies are needed to look for something. Sometimes, nothing can be found at the present time, but rechecking later may locate a problem, especially if the problem has grown big enough to show up.

In brief: Doctor to evaluate

Dr. Gregg Albers
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Yawning Pain

The yawning reflex uses a number of muscles in the face, neck, and throat.
You may have a muscles spasm in one of these muscles, which may also be the knot. See your doctor to make sure this is a benign issue.

In brief: Yawning Pain

Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology