I have a herniated disc, plus sarcoid which I doubt. I have little sensation in one leg and weakness in thr other. 2 yrs now. Is surgery my option?

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Bariatrics

In brief: Sarcoidosis

Yes, a granuloma could form around the area of a nerve for the area you describe.
An MRI of that area could be useful, but few radiologists are able to recognize the granuloma--it's is unusual. A short trial of steroids might help.Do you have an elevated blood test ace? That could indicate active sarcoid.Have you had a biopsy of a lesion id you as having non-caseating granulomas? Why not sarcoid.

In brief: Sarcoidosis

Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Marci Dietrich
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Flrg numbness

What part of you leg is numb? Top of the foot is L5 bottom of the foot and heel is the s1 nerve root if a compression is seen on MRI of the nerve root that corresponds to you you numbness.
Surgery is often helpful more sucessful for pain than numbnesswe can't fix the nerve but we can take the pressure nerve function has returned as late as 10 years out after decompression . Do you have foot drop?

In brief: Flrg numbness

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Robert Singer
Neurosurgery

In brief: Depends

A thorough review of your medical history and any available imaging would be essential in determining the best treatment option.
Neuropathy can occur in patients with sarcoid so your presentation is not atypical. Chronic weakness is a concern, however.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Robert Singer
Dr. Robert Singer
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine